Monday, August 4, 2014

Hello!

I am Avery Carter. I am 12 years old and I just started theatre this year. Here's the story of my first play.
So last summer my best friend Jordyn went to theatre camp. I was interested in it and wanted to come the next year. My friend did more plays through out the year and got better and better and she is now known as a theatre kid and known by many among our local ritz theatre. I gave up softball and took on theatre. My friend who noe gets lead roles said she started off small with one line at theatre camp. In Alice in wonderland she was a add in with one small line: "We hate little girls!". She said I would only get one line and it would be easy. Well the first day of camp was audition day. I was new and knew hardly anyone. Jordyn wasn't able to be in this play, but she came for a few days, which left me terrified. We played games and introduced ourselves for the morning, then right before lunch there was the horror. We had to sing a high pitched song by ourselves in front of EVERYBODY. Luckily the night before Jordyn taught me the basic "Project your voice until it hits the last row and be overly expressive." Well I sang it loudly, a little off, but all they cared about was if you could sing loudly and in a decent voice and I did. That afternoon we had auditions for different roles. We were doing Peter Pan and of course I wanted to be Wendy! Even though at was at the line of impossible. Girls better who had been doing plays forever were there, it seemed like a distant dream, but I did the best I could. I bonded with my counselors fast and that afternoon I learned a dance with a twirl in it and our camp director thought it would be a good idea to scare me as I twirled. He told us he would send a email with the cast list in it that night. I was up till 10:30 checking emails every 5 minutes. I believed I would be a add-in or a lost boy with one line. So I went to bed and he sent it like 10 or 15 minutes later. The next morning my Mom got it pulled up. I was WENDY! It was double casted which was better so I could have breaks. I couldn't stop smiling. I was super excited. The only thing was memorizing lines. Whoosh. We will talk about that  later. The other Wendy I knew pretty well. Besides Jordyn, I knew her best at camp, and I was very happy to work with her! Well the next day (Wednesday) we got our script. "Come on Monday with this memorized!" They said. I was freaking out. Monday!? 5 days? I had a breakdown studying one night. I had so many lines. I didn't have them all memorized by Monday, but most of them. We got to come in costume that day. I also got to do a test fly. It was just my counselors holding me. Ha! I am still wondering how many weird looks I got. A girl in a night gown in front of the court house being held up in a flying position by several guys. Oh, the things you do for theatre! I enjoyed getting to do runs and helping the little kids in the air conditioned building.(The ritz was not air conditioned in the middle of Texas in July) Then I woke up the day of my first performance. I was sick, I could hardly stand up, but I went to camp. I was singing a song and wasn't really into it and my camp director was kinda harsh then he realized I was sick and was easier on me after that. I beared through it and didn't eat. Lucky for me my first performance I was a Indian. I went home and ate a little bit of food and my mom did my hair and I rested and took some pills before opening night show when I was Wendy. I got there and my camp director said it was sold out. Just before we go on is terrifying. I can feel it now. The curtain is closed you are first up. I never felt so terrified in my life! Finally it started and I wasn't scared anymore. I missed a few lines but no biggy! I had fun. I did another performance the next day as Wendy, and then a Indian again. Did I forget to mention hook (My camp director) hook FLEW OFF! In the like most serious scene where I was captured. He just stopped. And hollered to the audience "Oh so now you guys laugh." Say that line again. Ha! Anyway I had a great time. It was fun. If you don't know if you want to do theatre or not DO IT! I am going to do more theatre starting this year. I hope you guys enjoy my blog. I made new friends and found my favorite talent.
XoXo
~Avery              

No comments:

Post a Comment